Nevada County authorities identify remains found in November as Kurt Andrew Collins
March 29, 2018
Nevada County authorities have positively identified remains found in November off the South Yuba Trail as belonging to Kurt Andrew Collins, a release states.
DNA testing confirmed what authorities suspected at the time — that the remains were those of Collins, a suspect in the August 2016 shooting of Placer County Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue member Steve Wolf.
Sheriff Keith Royal said Collins' body was badly decomposed, though it appeared there was no foul play in the death.
"It's very, very difficult, if not impossible, to determine his cause of death," Royal said.
A backlog of cases led to the delay in identifying the remains, the sheriff said.
A runner in late November spotted the remains about four miles downstream of Washington. He called authorities, who found the body. No personal identification was nearby.
Recommended Stories For You
Collins, a gold prospector who lived in the wilderness near Washington for two decades, was considered a person of interest in the July 2016 murder of Michael Mahoney, the release states.
Authorities said they also considered Collins a person of interest in the 2013 disappearance of Joseph Charles Murphy, known as Black Dog Joe. Murphy prospected for gold with Collins before he disappeared.
Authorities said they've suspended both the homicide and missing person cases, pending any new developments.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239
Trending In: Main Headline
- Nevada County death: Man dies after unintentional shooting
- Nevada County wreck: Grass Valley man thrown from motorcycle
- Nevada County sheriff: Deputies bust largest honey oil lab ever seen
- Cal Fire: Yuba City man faces multiple arson counts
- Nevada County wreck UPDATE: Vehicle goes 30 feet down embankment
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info