Cal Fire: Yuba City man faces multiple arson counts
August 27, 2018
A Yuba City man faces accusations that he set a series of fires in the Lincoln area as the Carr and Ferguson fires blazed throughout the state, authorities said Monday.
Gregory Scott Courtney, 30, faces multiple counts of arson. He’s accused of setting several fires between Aug. 6 and 20, Cal Fire said in a release.
Law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, identified and began watching Courtney after an Aug. 7 fire spree. Authorities then arrested Courtney, the release states. Placer County authorities said he’d be booked Monday night into their jail.
"We are fortunate to have been able to arrest this individual, before another fire damaged more property or injured or killed someone," Cal Fire Unit Chief George Morris III said. "This destructive and reckless behavior could have led to a truly tragic outcome."
Authorities gave no motive for the arson.
Courntey will be held on $2.4 million in bond, the release states.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Three Grass Valley arrests involve drugs, alcohol
- Grass Valley resident hits up Grammy Awards ceremony for third time
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- Gray wolf OR-54’s return to Nevada County part of ‘dispersal’ activity