Nevada County authorities respond to dead body in Englebright Lake
April 26, 2018
Nevada County authorities on Thursday said they recovered the dead body of a woman found in Englebright Lake.
The body, which wasn't immediately identified, will undergo an autopsy today. Authorities hope the autopsy will reveal the woman's identity, as well as the cause and manner of her death, said Mike Sullivan, chief deputy coroner.
"There's nothing that's pointing to foul play that I've been advised of at this point," Sullivan added.
A recreational boater around 12:30 p.m. spotted the body in the north part of the lake, near its junction with the Yuba River, and called authorities. Deputies responded to the lake, which lays in both Yuba and Nevada counties, Sullivan said.
Local authorities often work with Yuba County officials, though Nevada County is the lead agency in this case, Sullivan said.
A marine unit and dive team recovered the body around 3:30 p.m. Sullivan said authorities deploy a dive team when recovering bodies.
Recommended Stories For You
It's unknown how long the woman has been deceased, Sullivan said.
"It appears the body was in the water for awhile," Sheriff Keith Royal said.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Main Carousel
- Lorraine’s Lowdown: Nevada County rallies for fire victims; wreaths laid by veterans’ graves
- UPDATE: 2 Nevada Union High School students die in car wreck, authorities say
- Thousands flee wildfires burning in the US, Canada
- Beyond the county: Sacramento Mayor hit with pie; Tulsa officer charged in man’s death; UN calls for increased security for planes, airports
- UPDATE: Authorities respond to report of bank robbery at Bank of the West in Grass Valley
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Farewell, sole man: Owner of Dave’s Shoe Repair dead at 82
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims