Nevada County authorities respond to dead body in Englebright Lake
April 26, 2018
Nevada County authorities on Thursday said they recovered the dead body of a woman found in Englebright Lake.
The body, which wasn't immediately identified, will undergo an autopsy today. Authorities hope the autopsy will reveal the woman's identity, as well as the cause and manner of her death, said Mike Sullivan, chief deputy coroner.
"There's nothing that's pointing to foul play that I've been advised of at this point," Sullivan added.
A recreational boater around 12:30 p.m. spotted the body in the north part of the lake, near its junction with the Yuba River, and called authorities. Deputies responded to the lake, which lays in both Yuba and Nevada counties, Sullivan said.
Local authorities often work with Yuba County officials, though Nevada County is the lead agency in this case, Sullivan said.
A marine unit and dive team recovered the body around 3:30 p.m. Sullivan said authorities deploy a dive team when recovering bodies.
Recommended Stories For You
It's unknown how long the woman has been deceased, Sullivan said.
"It appears the body was in the water for awhile," Sheriff Keith Royal said.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Main Carousel
- UPDATE: Police identify man found dead in Grass Valley
- UPDATE: 2 Nevada Union High School students die in car wreck, authorities say
- Beyond the county: Prosecutors say man target police in Palm Springs ambush; Buoyant Clinton reaching past Trump; 80,000 trout accidently set free
- Lt. Bill Smethers announces candidacy for Nevada County sheriff
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Nevada County authorities haven’t yet ID’d burned body
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info