Readers’ corner 7/26/07
Scam letters follow up: Mark Wall called me from Nevada City to tell me what he did with one of those phony “you have inherited $1 million” letters that have been flooding mailboxes around here.
“I followed through with one, just for fun,” Mark said. “I used a defunct bank account, and I eventually received a call from the guy. He asked if I was ready to proceed and then asked me what I did for a living. I told him I was a Superior Court judge in Nevada County, and he hung up on me.”
Thanks to Staples and Kmart: Reader Don Slayton sent the following. “A big thank you to Staples and Kmart for their great sales on school supplies. A penny each for eight packs of pencils or pencil sharpeners or pencil boxes and other great prices on many more much-needed items for these school kids. It does make a big difference. A big community thank you!”
Scott Milhous’ cancer battle: His family has had an ongoing battle, and there was a benefit last October, but new problems have cropped up. Sylvia Milhous told me Scott continues to battle cancer in his bladder after the loss of his kidneys.
“His medical and living expenses are ever growing. We are having a prime rib dinner/auction and a raffle (a horse!) on Aug. 3 at the Nevada County Horsemens club house on Bubbling Wells Road at 7 p.m.; tickets for dinner and dance are $20.” For info or tickets for the dinner or the horse raffle, call Sylvia Milhous at 477-0772.
Have you been to Grace Lutheran’s rummage sale? It’s known for its reasonable prices, and all proceeds go toward remodeling the church kitchen and its mission projects. Alice Freude reminded me that it is from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. this Friday and Saturday at the church, right next to Nevada Union High School on Ridge Road. In this era of everyone having too much stuff, doesn’t it make sense to buy something “gently used” instead of new? I kind of like thinking that someone else has enjoyed an item when I get it – it feels like it has a “history.”
Laura Witzig update: This is the teenage girl who lost her leg from E. coli after petting a baby goat that was infected last fall. Her father, Gary of Tomahawks, called to tell me Laura had surgery again at Shriner’s Hospital. They are hoping this will help her to be able to have a prosthetic leg fitted. This has been an ordeal, and Laura has received an outpouring of support from the community. Gary wanted to update the community on her condition.
To contact Readership Editor Dixie Redfearn, e-mail email@example.com or call 477-4238.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
From all the residents of Grass Valley Senior Apartments, thank you to the firefighters, police department air support and everyone who responded to the Bennett Fire. God bless you all. You are all heroes.