Rags ignite, cause fire in jail dryer | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Rags ignite, cause fire in jail dryer

A dryer at Wayne Brown Correction Facility caught fire Sunday, when rags in the machine caught fire, according to officials.

No one was injured. But as a precaution, minimum security inmates housed and working nearby were sent to a recreation area and the parking lot, Sheriff’s Lt. Gary Smith said.



Jail officers called the Nevada City Fire Department and put the fire out with extinguishers, he said, but it restarted as fire engines were on their way.

The 2:24 p.m. call was over in 30 minutes, Nevada City Fire Chief Greg Wasley said. “Basically, it was a lot of smoke.”




The dryer is working fine now, Smith said.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Opinion