Norm Sauer: The progressive swamp of Washington D.C.
“The competent leader of men
cares little for the interior niceties of other people’s characters …
He supplies the power; others supply only the materials upon which that power operates …
Resistance is left to the minority, and such as will not be convinced are crushed.”
Support Local Journalism
(Woodrow Wilson,1890, Leaders of Men)
Swamps stink from rot, and much is rotten in Washington D.C.
President Trump during his campaign promised to clear the swamp, and the odor of fear evidenced by the left’s delay, delegitimize, and intelligence trip wires leaked anonymously from the progressive Obama administration are adding to the stink. The Wilson progressive Democrats’ goal is to crush Trump.
Fighting back, President Trump this weekend called out President Obama’s reported police state tactics of wiretapping the Trump Tower and campaign personnel during his campaign for the presidency.
The Obama White House and mainstream media outlets immediately denied Trump’s wiretapping accusation. President Trump has asked the Senate Intelligence Committee to investigate Obama’s wiretapping.
What was reported to date?
1. Obama wire tapped various individuals in the U. S. media, such as Fox News reporter James Rosen and members of the Associated Press in 2013, and in 2014 reporter Sharyl Attkisson, whose computer was hacked by spyware proprietary to a government agency.
2. In June 2016 an FBI request was filed with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA) to monitor communications involving Donald Trump and several advisors. The request was denied. (The Guardian)
3. In October 2016 two unnamed counter-intelligence sources confirmed the FBI sought and was granted a FISA warrant for permission to examine the activities of U. S. persons in Donald Trump’s campaign with ties to Russia. (Heatstreet)
4. January 2017, two sources advise the FBI and five other law enforcement and intelligence agencies have collaborated for months in an investigation into Russian attempts to influence the November election, including whether money from the Kremlin covertly aided President-elect Trump. (McClatchy)
5. The FBI and other agencies accelerated their efforts in recent weeks but found no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing based on wiretapped communications provided to the White House. (NY Times)
6. “In its final days, the Obama administration has expanded the power of the National Security Agency to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s 16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections. (NY Times)
7. In the Obama administration’s last days, some White House officials scrambled to spread information about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election—and about possible contacts with associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump—across the government. (NY Times)
8. Flynn is said to have talked to Russians about sanctions before Trump took office? (NY Times, source?)
9. On January 20, 2017, Inauguration Day, the NY Times in an article co-authored by Michael S. Schmidt, reported that wiretaps of people on the Trump team were passed to the Obama White House. The same Michael S. Schmidt reported in the NY Times on March 4, 2017, that “Trump, offering no evidence, says Obama tapped his phones.” (What?)
10. On Sunday, March 5, 2017, Obama’s national intelligence chief, James Clapper, denied the existence of any FISA warrants and said Trump’s claims were false.
Sound confusing? Consider the following:
President Trump should not be underestimated. He has called Obama’s bluff with his tweet this weekend forcing Obama to put up or shut up about FISA warrants and wire taps. No matter what the evidence shows Obama loses.
If there is a Russian connection with Trump, then Obama engaged in illegal wiretapping for partisan political purposes against an American citizen, and Obama has some serious explaining to do. Can he say he didn’t know what was going on concerning six intelligence agencies wiretapping candidate Trump and his campaign personnel?
On the other hand, what if there were no FISA warrants or wire taps. If so, Obama-connected minions released false information to a complicit media which abandoned all journalistic principles and are nothing but propaganda whores.
So, it is either a conspiracy by the Obama administration to abuse executive power and illegally target an American citizen, or it is a conspiracy by the media and the radical progressive Democratic Party to tear down the lawfully elected President of the United States and crush him and his administration.
Either way, this promises to be one of the biggest political stories since Watergate, and probably bigger. Stay tuned, but hold your nose because the stink is going to get worse.
Norm Sauer, who lives in Nevada City, is a member of The Union Editorial Board. His opinion is his own and does not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of The Union or its editorial board. Write to him at EditBoard@TheUnion.com.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Connect with needs and opportunities from
Get immediate access to organizations and people in our area that need your help or can provide help during the Coronavirus crisis.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.