Will Connell: Fact and fiction
One wonders what it takes to educate the public to distinguish fact from fiction. We are told by Trump that:
He is the greatest environmentalist.
“It’s freezing in New York. We need global warming.”
He has done the most for Black Americans than anyone in history.
“Many Blacks didn’t go out to vote for Hillary because they liked me. That was about as good as getting the vote, you know, and it was great.”
He knows more than any general or admiral.
“I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me.”
He has done more for mid-East peace than anyone.
“Middle East peace is not as difficult as people have thought.”
He is the smartest president in our history.
“I’m a very stable genius.”
“I am the chosen one.”
He asks why he has not won the Nobel Peace Prize; after all, Obama has one.
He asks why his image is not carved on Mt. Rushmore. Everything he says is about himself. We experience his narcissism daily.
Here’s how Trump works to turn a democracy into a dictatorship.
1. Destroy labor.
2. Discredit students and education in general.
3. Denigrate all government institutions, FBI, Justice Dept, State Dept, etc.
4. Revise tax codes to favor the wealthy.
5. Compromise the working public to make them economically anxious, and insecure.
6. Claim that all our problems stem from “them,” mostly foreigners, immigrants, or racial minorities.
7. Make many cynical about democracy.
8. Tell the public lies. To date, he’s told over 20,000, according to FactCheck.
9. Claim God has chosen the president to solve all our problems, as no one else is capable of doing so.
The real wonder is not to ask what is the matter with a man such as Trump, but to ask what is the matter with a society that listens to him. Dare we ignore Trump’s not so subtle hints about ”another 12 years?”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Our actions have consequences, sometimes unintended. There are people demanding the freedom to be unvaccinated and unmasked for themselves and their children in public places, including restaurants, stores, theaters and schools. I presume these folks…