Stewart Epstein: Living wage a human right
January 24, 2018
My boyhood hero, Robert Kennedy, used to say that "Jobs are better than welfare." As a liberal/progressive Democrat, I agree.
But I would add that having a job that pays a good and living wage that is well above the federal government's "official poverty line" is the human right of every American who is willing to lead a responsible and productive life. Therefore, I am proposing that following the November 2018 elections, our president and Congress reverse the 2017 tax cuts and instead spend $1 trillion on a federal government jobs-creation bill that guarantees a job with dignity and respect to all Americans that not only pays well above the official poverty line, but which also pays well above the "near-poverty line" (which is 100 percent to 125 percent of the official poverty line).
It is the "humane" and "just" thing to do.
Rochester, N. Y.
Trending In: Letters
- WELCOME HOME: Pro disc golfer Gregg Barsby honored with key to city
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say
- UPDATE: Bitney Prep High School lockdown has ended
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims
- A number of Nevada County schools closed Friday