Robert Erickson: Questionable ethics with flyer
August 24, 2018
Our community was recently the target of a double-sided, colorful, beautifully and expensively produced 8.5 by 11-inch self-promotional flyer from Congressman Doug LaMalfa.
I was astounded when I noticed that this was "prepared, published and mailed at taxpayer expense." In fact, I asked myself if this could possibly be legal. On checking with trusted friends, I was advised that it is.
I can only guess that the rationale for this is educating the public. However, the content of this particular piece is so self-serving and partisan that it feels like campaign material, not educational.
I have no quarrel with the congressman telling his point of view in his own words with his, or his campaign's money. I do seriously question the ethics of his decision to do so at my expense and that of every other taxpayer.
Trending In: Letters
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Nevada County authorities haven’t yet ID’d burned body
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- That’s the spirit: Nevada County’s first locally-crafted spirits make their debut