Richard Shaut: The value of community
March 13, 2019
Thank you, publisher Don Rogers, for your kind and thoughtful op-ed piece on the value and humanity of local community news.
Engagement in local events diminish partisanship. The closer we are to each other; the kinder and more understanding we become. At a distance or protected by anonymity, people lose that sense of community.
I am reminded of a guy who flipped me off when I was not driving fast enough down the mountain to suit him. Had he not been enclosed in several thousand pounds of metal and glass, powered by several horsepower for a quick getaway, and instead had been standing in line behind me in the grocery check-out line, he most likely would have been much more polite and understanding.
Trending In: Letters
- Suspect in Grass Valley baby formula thefts ID’d
- Voters: Political mailer supporting Dahle for state Senate ‘incredibly deceptive’
- Suspect in Grass Valley vehicle break-in sentenced to prison
- Defendant in Grass Valley gun incident sentenced
- Driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after women dies in crash on Highway 49 in Grass Valley