Regarding Simon Gates’ Mar. 12 letter to the editor
March 30, 2018
Regarding Simon Gates' Mar. 12 letter to the editor entitled, "Take a harder look at history on gun rights," Mr. Gates is correct about the American Revolution having armories and the citizens being issued weapons by their government.
This is, in fact, coded in the Constitution's Article I Section 8 under the powers of the federal government. This does not negate the right of the people to keep and bear arms. This right was already in common law and many of the states' constitutions. Plus, the Second Amendment is an amendment to the Constitution and supersedes anything before it.
Our Founding Fathers were very wise men and students of history. They understood that it is possible for a government to become tyrannical and turn on its own people. This was horribly proven during the last century when an estimated 100 to 200 million unarmed citizens were slaughtered by their own governments.
To name just a few of these countries: China, Russia, Germany, Turkey, Rwandan, Cambodia and many more. This kind of genocide is still going on in the world today.
Allan B. Krosner
Trending In: Letters
- WELCOME HOME: Pro disc golfer Gregg Barsby honored with key to city
- UPDATE: Bitney Prep High School lockdown has ended
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims
- A number of Nevada County schools closed Friday