Polly Bacich: Preserving pubic education
January 9, 2019
In his column, Terry McAteer's concerns about the state superintendent of education was interesting, but I don't agree that the job demands a background of classroom teaching.
A background of experience in the public schools is important, but the job demands political skills in addition to teaching skills and political skill are quite different. The situation is different than the days of Wilson Riles. I think the money spent on the campaign tells the story. Public education is under siege. We need someone who believes in public education. The millions supporting the losing candidate came from the same group who supported the candidate who lost to Gavin Newsom. These are those individuals and groups who endorse charter schools.
The secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, is an example of someone who has no interest in public education and makes no pretense of it. She would be in total agreement with those who subscribe to the privatization of the public school system.
I applaud CTA's efforts in support of teachers and, in effect, supporting and preserving public education in California.
Trending In: Letters
- Home prices climb out of reach for many in Nevada County (GRAPH)
- Woman who pleaded to Grass Valley T-Mobile robbery skips court
- Truckee officer recognizes wanted man, finds guns during search
- Nevada County authorities release cause of death in Adea Shabani homicide
- Meet your merchant: Love of area leads to setting up shop