Pat Lane: Remember to honor our veterans
November 15, 2017
Remember to honor our veterans
I was interested to see the picture in Monday's edition of The Union featuring the young families attending the Nisenan Heritage Day event and wondered why I never see them at Veterans Day or Memorial Day ceremonies.
It's all well and good to teach children about Native Americans and other cultures, but how about teaching them about the men and women who fought for the freedoms they enjoy? Their education should begin with respect and honor for our heroic American military veterans, many of whom were grievously wounded or died in combat or continue to suffer repercussions from battle.
I hope we start to see more young families at these two annual ceremonies in the future.
May God bless our veterans — thank you for your willingness to serve.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Nevada City health club to be repurposed as ‘cannabis campus’
- Meet your merchant: Grass Valley’s adult store and lingerie shop has had a discreet following for more than 15 years
- UPDATE: Bill Smethers concedes sheriff’s race after viewing media reports