MIchael Kelly: Talk to veterans about national anthem controversy
October 22, 2017
Anne Merdinger "Other Voices" column on Oct. 19 claims respect for Bob Larive's previous letter expressing disgust with the NFL players over the taking of a knee during the national anthem. Yet later she says his "white privilege" precludes him from empathizing with anyone suffering any form of prejudice.
Ms. Merdinger continues with loose gossip and accusations that the president hasn't himself honored the flag by not saluting, laughing during flag ceremonies and disrespecting POWs, Gold Star families and our countries values. Not sourced – not credible.
My favorite claim of hers that the players protests are "strongly supported by many veterans who have fought for this right." I am a former Marine. My son is a former Marine. His grandfather was a Marine who fought on Iwo Jima. My uncle was a Navy/Marine Corpsman who fought at the "Frozen Chosen" in Korea. My closest friends are veterans. I have not heard a single comment supporting your claims.
However, you may be right. So for a credibility check I'm inviting you to be my guest at any one of the weekly Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) meetings. Semper Fi.
Michael Thomas Kelly
Trending In: Letters
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- Gray wolf OR-54’s return to Nevada County part of ‘dispersal’ activity
- Rona Cook & Carissa Cook Stroh: We would like to humbly thank you all for supporting Friar Tuck’s
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- Nevada County Fairgrounds board votes down gun show