Linda Chaplin: Bah humbug to the naysayers
January 25, 2019
Regarding public university education — contrary to ivory tower elitist claims, I think California's public universities have a very strong public responsibility ethos.
I certainly felt that as a student many years ago. That it was a privilege to have a higher education, that part of that accomplishment was giving back some of the knowledge gained to the greater community of which the students are a part. Faculty is available to answer queries from any citizen wherever they may live or work. The university has a press that is specifically dedicated to producing works to disseminate advances in knowledge in a more vernacular form, i.e. the expansive list of University of California Press books.
Disparaging higher education is a tired red herring in California. Not to forget that universities have a 1,000-year tradition in western culture. Bah humbug to the naysayers.
Trending In: Letters
- Grass Valley resident hits up Grammy Awards ceremony for third time
- Three Grass Valley arrests involve drugs, alcohol
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- Rona Cook & Carissa Cook Stroh: We would like to humbly thank you all for supporting Friar Tuck’s