Kids these days … they’re so kind | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Kids these days … they’re so kind

I was trying to descend the rocky path to the Yuba River Tuesday with my grandkids. I’m relatively new to the county and have never been down to the area under the bridge. The kids hopped down from boulder to boulder with grace and agility. I paused and experienced the paralysis I often do when balance is required on hills.

At 65, I have fitness, but I grumpily admit that my balance is not great anymore. I’ve had a few falls to prove it, while hiking with my (younger) women’s hiking group.

As I was hesitating and looking down to keep an eye on the children, a sweet teenage girl came up and, in the most tactful way, asked me if she could help me down. She also grabbed my small dog and my backpack, so I could clamber down behind her.



As I passed one of her friends, he held out his arm for me to grasp.

I worked with teens as a school counselor for 37 years. I have found 99 percent of them have the desire to be altruistic and kind. The other 1 percent become caring with a few adults in their corner.




I was so busy watching the dog and grandkids, I forgot to ask the young man’s name. The girl, I believe, was Amanda.

Thank you and your friends for being such good representatives of our young people in Nevada County.

Sue Clark

Gras Valley


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Letters

Dan Smith: Differentiate between vaccine status

|

According to the articles and opinions I read in the paper, The Union seems to be interested in the population getting vaccinated against COVID-19, yet the best method of reporting the value of vaccinations is…



See more