Joan Nightingale: Seniors, hand over the keys and enjoy the scenery
July 17, 2018
Just read Dick Tracy's article on surviving Highway 49 and elderly drivers. I agree with him totally.
I am 87 years old and had a stroke in my left eye last year, which left me totally blind in that eye. I immediately handed my car keys over to my daughter. It was a very difficult thing to do, like giving up one's independence, but found out, as Mr. Tracy said, I can now relax and enjoy the scenery!
After living in the Grass Valley area for over 50 years I am seeing — with just one eye — things I had forgotten about, or never seen before. I laugh at myself, now, if someone asks how to such and such, I just say, "Ask my chauffeur!"
So please, if you are fortunate, as I am, to be enjoying your golden years, hand the keys over and enjoy the scenery. The Lyft is great too!
Trending In: Letters
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman says someone threatened, urinated on her