Jeff Kotowski: We need a comprehensive fire plan
December 4, 2018
Nevada County has been lucky to avoid a fire like the recent ones in other parts of California.
But there is no fundamental difference that has saved Nevada County, unless you count luck. We need a comprehensive fire protection plan and we need it now.
We need fire breaks along strategic roads to limit the spread of any fire. We could clear wide swaths along each side of strategic roads to stop the spread of fire. The road already provides some protection, so using it as a base for a wider fire break would lower the cost. Initial cash outlay could be small by providing land owners with future lower tax rates.
Trending In: Letters
- New Nevada County firearm rules go into effect Jan. 10
- Nevada County lion attack is instead an assault, victim in stable but critical condition
- Former Nevada County resident ‘Cappy’ Gordon killed in Montana
- Nevada County supervisors eye Old Tunnel Road land for homeless services
- Fight on South Auburn Street leads to passerby getting punched