Jeff Kotowski: Some historical perspective, please
July 1, 2018
Yes, I say leave the Confederate monuments up, but let's add some plaques to put things in perspective.
Let's point out how for over a 100 years after the Civil War racism persisted, separate bathrooms were required, lynchings were common and openly placed on the front page of local newspapers.
Let's talk about sundown towns, how slavery continued legally and how to this day we massively incarcerate people of color in this country. Let's talk about how we have disenfranchised voters of color through gerrymandering, voter purging and police roadblocks.
Yes, leave up the Confederate monuments, but let's show them for what they really are.
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATED: Fire units on scene at structure fire on Mill Street in Grass Valley
- All Thai’d up: After a year of preparation, Chandara Thai opens in Grass Valley
- North San Juan resident arrested in Nebraska pot bust takes plea
- Inmate at-large, walks away from Washington Ridge camp
- Renovation of Nevada City’s National Hotel on pace for December reopening