Jeff Kane: LaMalfa doesn’t have our backs
January 14, 2018
LaMalfa doesn't have our backs
Until recently, Rep. Doug LaMalfa opposed raising the national debt.
On his website only a month ago, he wrote, "Today our nation faces $16 trillion in debt, much of it owed to foreign countries hostile to our economic interests and way of life. While some believe that these challenges can simply be put off to a later date, I believe that the time to act against higher borrowing is now."
You might wonder, then, why Mr. LaMalfa voted for the now-passed Republican tax bill, which Congress' own Joint Committee on Taxation predicts will raise the national debt by over $1 trillion. He no longer mentions that issue on his website. In addition, this law drastically reduces tax deductions for the mortgage interest and local taxes that Californians pay.
Let's face it: Mr. LaMalfa doesn't have our backs. He only supports the interests of his Washington political bosses. Congressional District 1 needs a genuine leader, not this lockstep follower.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATED: Fire units on scene at structure fire on Mill Street in Grass Valley
- All Thai’d up: After a year of preparation, Chandara Thai opens in Grass Valley
- North San Juan resident arrested in Nebraska pot bust takes plea
- Nevada County Fair board ousts CEO Rea Callender
- Hospital merger meeting set for Monday in Grass Valley