Jeff Kane: LaMalfa doesn’t have our backs
January 14, 2018
LaMalfa doesn't have our backs
Until recently, Rep. Doug LaMalfa opposed raising the national debt.
On his website only a month ago, he wrote, "Today our nation faces $16 trillion in debt, much of it owed to foreign countries hostile to our economic interests and way of life. While some believe that these challenges can simply be put off to a later date, I believe that the time to act against higher borrowing is now."
You might wonder, then, why Mr. LaMalfa voted for the now-passed Republican tax bill, which Congress' own Joint Committee on Taxation predicts will raise the national debt by over $1 trillion. He no longer mentions that issue on his website. In addition, this law drastically reduces tax deductions for the mortgage interest and local taxes that Californians pay.
Let's face it: Mr. LaMalfa doesn't have our backs. He only supports the interests of his Washington political bosses. Congressional District 1 needs a genuine leader, not this lockstep follower.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Nancy Brost: Border wall crisis shows priorities of two opposing views
- Linda Schulyer Horning: Trump and Russia dates back to the ’80s
- Barbara Larsen: Insurance rate increases unfair
- Chris Pasles: Lack of insurance could threaten housing options
- Donna Frandsen: Presidential grudge behind threats to cut FEMA funding?