Horti Davis: Don’t miss ‘South Pacific’
April 25, 2018
The excellence of CATS (Community Asian Theater of the Sierras) remains astonishing. How to make the old gem, South Pacific, "fresh" seemed an insurmountable challenge for them to take on.
But once again they have exceeded even their high standards.
Accompanied by live orchestration, led by the director of the play himself, this production felt intimate, authentic, relevant, introspective as well as belovedly familiar. The characters felt real, folks we have all known. The interactions were natural and believable. The emotional nuances displayed were key to the depth portrayed. The voices were just plain wonderful, clear, and emotionally packed, building throughout the performance. The direction was impeccable.
I have seen this show many, many times, starting with Mary Martin, and would be delighted to watch this particular production repeatedly. Do yourselves a favor — don't miss this production!
Trending In: Letters
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Nevada City health club to be repurposed as ‘cannabis campus’
- Meet your merchant: Grass Valley’s adult store and lingerie shop has had a discreet following for more than 15 years
- UPDATE: Bill Smethers concedes sheriff’s race after viewing media reports