Global warming skeptics encouraged to attend
August 15, 2013
Climate skeptic? Come see the facts. Did you know that this is the hottest decade on record? And scientists have reconstructed records from millennia. In the last two years, record-breaking disasters all over the world — hurricanes, floods, droughts, fires and rising oceans — have scientists alarmed. The mechanisms linking all those events are well known to them, as are natural cycles that Earth has always gone through.
Since the industrial age, greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide from coal, petroleum and their products have shot up sharply after eons of stability. The average temperature of the air and ocean shot up with them. Coincidence? Hot air sweeps up moisture and drops it where it's cooler. The resulting droughts and floods have displaced millions of people. It is all happening much faster than predicted. Happily, so are the renewable energy alternatives that can turn it around, so there's cause for hope.
Come see pictures and videos and learn what you can do for the future of life on Earth at Climate Reality, a new PowerPoint presentation created by former Vice President Al Gore at 7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25, at the Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains, 246 S. Church Street in Grass Valley.
Trending In: Letters
- Gerard Tassone: Foster is right choice for Nevada County sheriff
- Joseph Hunter: Honoring Ambassador Stevens
- Mikos Fabersunne: Experience of Palestinians parallels Native Americans under colonialism
- Carolyn Sherwood: Newell the best choice
- Ashley Roenicke: Miller’s the best choice for Nevada County supervisor
- Suspect arrested for murder of missing Vietnam veteran Stan Norman
- Cal Fire: McCourtney, Lobo wildfires caused by trees falling into powerlines, PG&E cited
- Grass Valley police: Cab driver assaulted customer with heavy flashlight
- No bystanders injured in wreck that led to death of Grass Valley driver
- Lake Wildwood advisory still in effect