Alan Phillips: Our congressman and his Washington friends
January 21, 2019
I wish to applaud Congressman LaMalfa for his opposition to the Trump shutdown, and I'm curious as to his rationale.
Is it because blackmailing our government is a tyrannical anti-democratic abuse of power? Or is it Trump's threats to withdraw funds for fire prevention and suppression, and withhold FEMA assistance for thousands of fire victims? In the last few years many lives have been lost, tens of thousands of homes destroyed, and millions more are threatened within LaMalfa's district.
Might $5 billion be better spent on alleviating the most profound and immediate threats within our congressman's own backyard, rather than building a much-disputed wall along the Mexican border?
Trending In: Letters
- Three Grass Valley arrests involve drugs, alcohol
- Grass Valley resident hits up Grammy Awards ceremony for third time
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- Rona Cook & Carissa Cook Stroh: We would like to humbly thank you all for supporting Friar Tuck’s