• Paul Leidel, 47, pleaded innocent April 7 to charges forcible penetration, three counts of assault and one charge of threatening to commit a crime, stemming from a late March arrest.
He is accused of torturing a woman over a five-day period. Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal said the woman suffered a black eye, multiple fractures to her lower spine and 20 puncture wounds around her breasts, allegedly inflicted with a pocket knife.
An April 28 felony conference has been set.
• Derek Brown, 19, was sentenced April 7 to 240 days in jail and five years of probation for several charges stemming from a home burglary, vehicle theft and short pursuit on Highway 49 late last year.
His alleged accomplice, Robert McGrath, was ordered to undergo a psychiatric analysis to determine an appropriate sentence.
Brown and McGrath attempted to steal the personal vehicle of a California Highway Patrol officer and succeeded in stealing one of the officer’s neighbor’s cars. Brown was arrested while trying to hitchhike out of the area. McGrath was spotted several days later and arrested after a short pursuit which ended when he ran the stolen car into a tree.
• Kirk Shults of Alta Sierra was sentenced to 90 days in jail and three years of probation for charges of possession of illegal fireworks. The charges stemmed from a July 2, 2004, arrest. Eighty pounds of illegal fireworks were found at the home at the time of his arrest.
• Andre Harris, 37, of Antioch, pleaded innocent April 7 to charges of robbery, assault and possession of stolen property. He is accused of breaking into a car and fighting with the car’s owner when the owner caught him in the act.
An April 21 felony conference has been set.
• John Daniel Howard, 23, of Cameron Park, pleaded innocent April 7 to charges of vehicle theft, false impersonation of another person and possession of stolen property, stemming from an April 6 arrest.
An April 14 felony conference has been set.
• William Arnberg, 29, was sentenced April 8 to 90 days in jail and three years of probation for one charge of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, stemming from an Aug. 12, 2004, arrest.
• Robert James Dion was sentenced to three years and eight months in prison for charges of possession of stolen property and possession of a controlled substance for sale, stemming from a Feb. 26, 2004 arrest. The sentence was suspended, pending a successful probationary period, which will run for the entire sentence term. Dion will also spend one year in jail.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
“There is a cult of ignorance in this country … nurtured by the false notion that ‘my ignorance is as good as your knowledge.'” — Isaac Asimov, 1980.