Tom Behlmer: A look at LaMalfa’s voting record
August 19, 2018
The upcoming elections will be here soon. Our congressman, Doug LaMalfa, will be on the ballot. Much of the public don't closely watch how their congressmen vote.
Fortunately, there are organizations that do monitor voting records. One is PoliticsThatWork.com. According to their site, he's voted 97 percent of the time for the interests of the wealthy and only 3 percent for the middle class. It also shows that he has voted 100 percent of the time for big business, 92 percent of the time to tax the middle class, 22 percent of the time for education funding, 2 percent of the time for environmental protection and zero percent for countering Russian interference.
This website summarizes bills he has voted on by policy area to give transparency to their conclusions.
Another organization is the League of Conservation Voters. Their website is ScoreCard.lcv.org. They give LaMalfa a lifetime score of a mere 1 percent, with 100 being the highest. His hostile votes on conservation seem shortsighted from a fiscal stand point. Is it not cheaper to prevent an environmental mess than to have to clean it up afterwards?
"It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins."
– Benjamin Franklin
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Columns
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Nevada City health club to be repurposed as ‘cannabis campus’
- Meet your merchant: Grass Valley’s adult store and lingerie shop has had a discreet following for more than 15 years
- UPDATE: Bill Smethers concedes sheriff’s race after viewing media reports