Ben Prescott: Where my ‘Christianity’ differs from LaMalfa
October 19, 2017
Regarding Lee Blakemore's Oct. 6 letter where he is concerned about publicly exposing religious hypocrisy.
I get it. It embarrasses people.
"Spiritual" is the yearning in every human heart. "Religious" is the vain effort to fill it with group conformity.
Doug LaMalfa opens his stage show with a prayer, impressing those who believe "Christianity" is about one group's "integrity and family values." Jesus himself recommends praying in private.
For many, even today, "integrity" means "do what you're told," and "family values" mean, well, "do what you're told." There remain, I suppose, many who ache for the days when people 'knew their place' (every woman understands what I mean).
My own "Christianity" is different, though I'm sure both Lee Blakemore and I know Jesus as the one constant friend, the "invisible companion" who gave our lives real meaning.
Recommended Stories For You
Doug LaMalfa reveres a strongman who revels in deliberately confusing symbols and starting fights. He would have us believe our military (and you) serve a piece of cloth, but there's no more heinous desecration of the flag than the president's attacks on those kneeling to pray for it.
Doug LaMalfa prays in public and votes to cancel kids' health care.
Trending In: Columns
- Nevada County authorities haven’t yet ID’d burned body
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Grass Valley man sentenced to five years for unlawfully manufacturing ghost guns
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners shutout Fairfield for 3rd win in a row (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)