Article about MS touches hearts
December 16, 2002
In The Union on Dec. 5, there is an article that touched our hearts. It is about Ron Cole, who has progressive multiple sclerosis and needs a specially equipped van.
Our son, Tom, also has the same type of MS. Only about 20 percent of those with this disease have the progressive strain, which is the worst. Tom went from being an active athlete, musician and high school teacher to a full-time wheelchair patient. He has no use of his left hand, arm or leg.
About a year ago, his MS progressed to where he could no longer get his wheelchair into his regular van unless he had help, and then it was not equipped so that he could drive it safely.
Through the help of family, he was able to purchase a used, specially equipped van as is needed by Ron.
Tom’s whole life was opened up when he received this van. It has given him independence. He can now go where he likes when he likes, visit friends, go to the store, or even go to work. What better way to brighten and help a life – really, a family.
Both my wife and I will make donations and hope you will, too. Make your donation to the Ron Cole Fund at the El Dorado Bank, 124 Main St., Grass Valley 95945, Account No. 373 00949. Do it now!
Recommended Stories For You
Roy and Carol Crain
Trending In: Opinion
- Altercation at Grass Valley transient camp injures two, sends man to jail
- Hilary Hodge concedes District 3 Nevada County Board of Supervisors race
- BREAKING NEWS: Gunfire erupts at New Jersey arts festival; 22 wounded
- Lake Wildwood looks to remove geese, cites E. coli issues
- THE UNION NOW: LATEST Election 2018 results; live feed from the newsroom