Web Update: Legal firework started wildfire Monday evening | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Web Update: Legal firework started wildfire Monday evening

A legal firework was responsible for starting a 15-acre wildfire Monday evening on a dry, grassy hill in south Nevada County.

Reported at 6:02 p.m., the fire ” off Lime Kiln Road, and about half of one mile west of Old Pond Lane ” was contained by 6:30 p.m. by firefighters from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, Nevada County Consolidated, Higgins Area and Grass Valley fire departments.

“The fire was determined to be arson-caused, with ‘Safe and Sane’ fireworks the cause of the ignition,” a Nevada County Consolidated report read.



No homes were damaged and none were ever in immediate danger of the fire, said Mike Bishop, an engineer with the Higgins Area Fire Protection District.

Firefighters remained at the scene all today to make sure the fire did not re-ignite.




A lookout at the Wolf Mountain tower was one of the first to report the growing blaze, which likely started alongside the road, Bishop said.

“If (the firework) was dropped, or if someone threw it out of a car ” that has not been determined,” he said.

Although the firework was a “Safe and Sane” one, it was still illegal. Fireworks are not allowed in the unincorporated areas of the county, which includes areas outside of Grass Valley and Nevada City city limits. Within the cities’ limits, they have been outlawed since July 6.

Those caught with fireworks can be cited, be charged with a misdemeanor and have the fireworks confiscated.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User