UPDATE: Child dies in Nevada County wreck; driver deemed intoxicated by authorities | TheUnion.com

UPDATE: Child dies in Nevada County wreck; driver deemed intoxicated by authorities

The Union staff

UPDATE at 10:43 a.m.:

Albert Silva remained Tuesday morning in a hospital for treatment, though authorities say he’ll face a felony charge of DUI at a minimum once he’s booked into jail.

California Highway Patrol Officer Mike Steele said his office is conferring with the Nevada County District Attorney’s Office to determine what other charges Silva, 38, could face.

UPDATE at 10:33 a.m.:

Nevada County authorities have identified the deceased 2-year-old child as Quincy Silva, the son of Albert Silva.

Quincy Silva was pronounced deceased at 9:47 p.m. Monday in the emergency room of Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital. Cause and manner of death are pending autopsy, which is scheduled for Wednesday morning, Deputy Coroner Mike Sullivan said.

Initially posted:

A 2-year-old child died in a traffic collision on Highway 20 Monday night after not being restrained in an appropriate safety seat, according to a California Highway Patrol press release.

At around 9 p.m. Monday, Albert Silva, 38, was driving a 2007 Ford Focus westbound on Highway 20 near Harmony Ridge Road.

Silva allowed the vehicle to travel off the right side of the road  and through a gravel shoulder.  In an attempt to drive back onto the road, Silva lost control and the vehicle was overturned several times.

Silva’s passenger, a 2 year old child, was not restrained in an appropriate child safety seat and was ejected from the car. Silva sustained major injuries and was transported to a medical center for treatment of his injuries.

The child was pronounced deceased at Sierra Nevada Memorial shortly after the collision.

According to CHP documents, both the driver and passenger were Grass Valley residents.

Highway 20 traffic was diverted to Willow Valley Road for a short duration during the investigation, but re-opened at 11:05 pm. Monday.

Alcohol intoxication was determined to be a factor in this collision.  Silva was placed under arrest and remains in custody during his medical treatment.

Check back for more updates.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.