YOUTH BASKETBALL: Union Hill Bearcats claw way to tourney championship
February 12, 2019
The Union Hill Bearcats eighth grade boys basketball team rose above the competition at the Chico All-City Classic, going 4-0 and claiming the Silver Division Championship for a second straight year.
Facing Chico Country Day in the championship game, the Bearcats clawed out a 52-32 victory, getting 20 points from Johnheaven Patton and 17 points from Chase Nye.
The Bearcats opened the two-day tournament with a 47-19 victory over Marsh Junior High (Chico). They then topped Paradise Charter Middle School, 45-40, in the second round, and bested Bidwell Junior High (Chico), 55-34, in the semifinals.
The Bearcats got it done with hot shooting, and a swarming defense which created turnovers and led to a high tempo fast break attack, said head coach Dallas Wivholm.
The Union Hill team is comprised of Caleb Hassfeld, Ryne Allen, Seth Wilkinson, Carson Hall, James Kinney, Wyatt Tinnel, Cameron Randall, Anthony Wright, Nye and Patton.
"Their overall play in the tournament was of a confident team playing selfless basketball with key role contributions from each of the players," Wivholm said.
Recommended Stories For You
Bearcat players Patton, Nye and Kinney earned All-Tournament Team honors.
It was the second tourney win of the season for the Bearcats squad, who went 3-0 and won the Weimar Hills Warrior Classic in January.
The team recently completed league play with an 8-3 record and is 17-7 overall. Next up is the Nevada County Athletic League tournament at Nevada Union next week.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners power past Cordova in 1st round of D-III playoffs; Lady Bruins fall to Colfax in D-IV
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons edge past Sacramento Adventist in D-VI playoffs, punch ticket to semifinals
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Gov. Newsom set to visit Grass Valley