YOUTH BASKETBALL: Mount St. Mary’s rallies to win tourney title
February 28, 2018
With a late rally in the championship game, the Mount St. Mary's Academy boys basketball team claimed the Nevada County Small Schools Tournament title.
Facing a skilled Yuba River Charter team in the championship game, Mount St. Mary's fell behind by 14 early and trailed by nine at halftime. They would close the gap to five heading to the fourth quarter and ran away with the game from there. Mount St. Mary's outscored Yuba River Charter 13-4 in the final stanza to win the title, 47-42.
Leading the way for Mount St. Mary's was Evan McDaniel with 26 points and five assists. Jack O'Neill added 10 points. Owen McDaniel, playing in his third game back from a broken leg, tallied nine points.
Isaac Fassler, Will Phillips and Gino Lorenzo had their hands full guarding Yuba River Charter's talented posts and played solid defense all game.
Mount St. Mary's finishes the season 17-1 overall.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top league foe Lincoln; FLC soars past Delta
- All-time great linebacker Matt Beck to be inducted into Nevada Union Athletics Hall of Fame
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union’s comeback falls short against Lincoln
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Menary goes on scoring surge; Sumner beats ranked opponent
- YOUTH VOLLEYBALL: Lyman Gilmore earns 7th grade large school championship
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman says someone threatened, urinated on her