YOUTH BASKETBALL: Mount St. Mary’s rallies to win tourney title
February 28, 2018
With a late rally in the championship game, the Mount St. Mary's Academy boys basketball team claimed the Nevada County Small Schools Tournament title.
Facing a skilled Yuba River Charter team in the championship game, Mount St. Mary's fell behind by 14 early and trailed by nine at halftime. They would close the gap to five heading to the fourth quarter and ran away with the game from there. Mount St. Mary's outscored Yuba River Charter 13-4 in the final stanza to win the title, 47-42.
Leading the way for Mount St. Mary's was Evan McDaniel with 26 points and five assists. Jack O'Neill added 10 points. Owen McDaniel, playing in his third game back from a broken leg, tallied nine points.
Isaac Fassler, Will Phillips and Gino Lorenzo had their hands full guarding Yuba River Charter's talented posts and played solid defense all game.
Mount St. Mary's finishes the season 17-1 overall.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners shutout Fairfield for 3rd win in a row (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Alex Cook, Sierra College off to strong start in Big 8 play
- Tips for Salmon fishing on the Feather River
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union tennis tops Oakmont; Bear River golf remains unbeaten in league play
- REC SOFTBALL: Snipers take down 2018 Championship
- Nevada County couple facing animal cruelty charge back in jail
- UPDATE: Police say Old Tunnel Road death likely accidental
- ‘We have your back’: Nevada County residents rally behind Blasey Ford
- Nevada County sheriff: Suspect said he forgot about having drugs on him
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge