WELCOME HOME: Pro disc golfer Gregg Barsby honored with key to city
November 14, 2018
Professional disc golfer Gregg Barsby was welcomed home Tuesday evening and presented with a key to the city of Grass Valley by city officials.
Barsby, a Grass Valley native, is coming off the biggest win of his career and was busy greeting family, friends and longtime fans at Grass Valley Brewing Co. before the city's Vice Mayor Lisa Swarthout surprised him with the symbolic key.
Barsby won the 2018 Disc Golf World Championship in Jeffersonville, Vermont back in September, beating out 227 other competitors for the $10,000 top prize.
"We play so many tournaments and go all over the place to chase the dream down," Barsby told The Union after his World Championship win. "And to have it happen at the big time was so awesome."
Trending In: Sports
- Justin Carroll leaves behind legacy of love, kindness and competitiveness
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Lowe rallies down the stretch to win Bash at the Beach
- AUTO RACING: Sweet looks to continue Series’ streak of first-time winners this season
- TRACK AND FIELD: Sierra Gold runs down Indoor National Championships
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: A truly courageous moment
- Major electrical infrastructure company moves headquarters to Nevada City
- Traffic stop yields 2 arrests, discovery of items stolen from South Yuba River State Park
- Vintage ice cream cart stolen in Nevada City dumped at Rood Center
- Nevada County DA clears deputies involved in non-fatal shooting
- The last bits of sunshine for Nevada County