PREP VOLLEYBALL: Miners help North win Optimist All Star Game
June 12, 2018
Nevada Union was well represented at last week's Optimist All-Star Volleyball Game as four Miners participated in the end of season showcase.
Miners Nick Ashbaugh, Sam Hales, Tanner Quiggle and Ibrahim Torkman all played for the North team, which was led by NU head coach Lance Mansuetti.
As expected, the All-Star matchup featured the top seniors from the region and resulted in a highly competitive bout that went five sets.
The two sides traded sets early on with the South winning the first and third sets, and the North winning the second and fourth sets, sending the match to a fifth and decisive set.
The North fell behind early, 6-1, in the fifth set and were a point away from losing at 14-7. That's when Ashbaugh went to the service line and led the North as it rallied to win the set, 17-15, and earn the victory.
Ashbaugh was named the North team's Most Outstanding Player. The South team's Most Outstanding Player was Nico Saboonchi from Whitney.
Recommended Stories For You
Coaches and league organizers may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners in need of a win as season nears end
- Friday Night Football: Nevada Union vs. Lincoln; Bear River at Colfax
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bruins face rival Colfax with PVL title at stake
- PREP GOLF: Lady Bruins win PVL Championship, close out undefeated run through league play
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Jr. Miners crush Cordova
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Driver wrecks on Highway 20 in Penn Valley, arrested after he wanders from scene, CHP says
- Spotlight on Nevada County sheriff’s race: Shannan Moon, Bill Smethers discuss recidivism, jail issues (VIDEO)
- Pair accused of using concrete bolt gun on Glenbrook Basin vending machine