PREP VOLLEYBALL: Miners help North win Optimist All Star Game
June 12, 2018
Nevada Union was well represented at last week's Optimist All-Star Volleyball Game as four Miners participated in the end of season showcase.
Miners Nick Ashbaugh, Sam Hales, Tanner Quiggle and Ibrahim Torkman all played for the North team, which was led by NU head coach Lance Mansuetti.
As expected, the All-Star matchup featured the top seniors from the region and resulted in a highly competitive bout that went five sets.
The two sides traded sets early on with the South winning the first and third sets, and the North winning the second and fourth sets, sending the match to a fifth and decisive set.
The North fell behind early, 6-1, in the fifth set and were a point away from losing at 14-7. That's when Ashbaugh went to the service line and led the North as it rallied to win the set, 17-15, and earn the victory.
Ashbaugh was named the North team's Most Outstanding Player. The South team's Most Outstanding Player was Nico Saboonchi from Whitney.
Recommended Stories For You
Coaches and league organizers may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- ‘BIGGER THAN THE GAME’: Bear River boys, girls teams win Ganskie Invitational, raise funds for Camp Fire first responders (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax Falcons set to face San Diego Cavers in CIF 5-A State Championship
- Denis Peirce: Steelhead on the Sacramento
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Will Sumner ranked No. 23 in nation after strong start
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax falls to San Diego in CIF State 5-A Championship game
- Nevada County authorities find explosive device in Glenbrook Basin; businesses evacuated, no one hurt
- Nevada County assault victim remains in hospital
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Smell of death at Colfax Avenue home
- Nevada County judge rules against release for terminally ill inmate
- MEET YOUR MERCHANT: Nevada County couple helps keep homes warm through growing trend of energy logs