PREP VOLLEYBALL: Miners help North win Optimist All Star Game
June 12, 2018
Nevada Union was well represented at last week's Optimist All-Star Volleyball Game as four Miners participated in the end of season showcase.
Miners Nick Ashbaugh, Sam Hales, Tanner Quiggle and Ibrahim Torkman all played for the North team, which was led by NU head coach Lance Mansuetti.
As expected, the All-Star matchup featured the top seniors from the region and resulted in a highly competitive bout that went five sets.
The two sides traded sets early on with the South winning the first and third sets, and the North winning the second and fourth sets, sending the match to a fifth and decisive set.
The North fell behind early, 6-1, in the fifth set and were a point away from losing at 14-7. That's when Ashbaugh went to the service line and led the North as it rallied to win the set, 17-15, and earn the victory.
Ashbaugh was named the North team's Most Outstanding Player. The South team's Most Outstanding Player was Nico Saboonchi from Whitney.
Recommended Stories For You
Coaches and league organizers may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- AUTO RACING: Racing returns to Roseville with kickoff event at All American Speedway
- REC BASKETBALL: Young School comes up big in final moments, wins C League Championship
- LITTLE LEAGUE: Penn Valley Cougars headed to TOCs
- REC BASKETBALL: Bad Boyz claim B1 Championship
- GET INTO GOLF: US Open, Father’s Day and the Shinnecock Hills grind
- Altercation at Grass Valley transient camp injures two, sends man to jail
- Hilary Hodge concedes District 3 Nevada County Board of Supervisors race
- BREAKING NEWS: Gunfire erupts at New Jersey arts festival; 22 wounded
- Lake Wildwood looks to remove geese, cites E. coli issues
- THE UNION NOW: LATEST Election 2018 results; live feed from the newsroom