PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners fall in 2nd round of NorCal tourney
November 8, 2018
The Lady Miners had their season come a close Thursday night, falling in the second round of the CIF NorCal Division III Tournament.
Competing on their home court at Albert Ali Gymnasium, No. 2 seed Nevada Union battled No. 10 seed Miramonte closely all night, but came up short in five sets, 21-25, 25-21, 25-21, 23-25, 17-15.
After four thrilling sets yielded a 2-2 tie, the match went to a fifth and final set and, much like the first four sets, it was a battle until the end.
Nevada Union jumped out to a 5-2 lead behind kills from Faith Menary and Kendall Hughes, all of which developed from sets by Bekah McGill. Miramonte responded with a 5-1 run to grab a 7-6 edge. The two squads then traded points until it was tied, 10-10. That's when NU reeled off three straight points, forcing a Miramonte timeout. The Matadors came out of the timeout on fire and scored four straight points to pull ahead 14-13. A Hughes kill brought it even again.
After trading the next two points, Miramonte put the match to rest with a pair of spikes the Lady Miners simply couldn't handle.
"They've come a long way," Nevada Union head coach Chrys Dudek said of his team. "We started off young and gained a lot of experience, 52 matches, and they've really come a long way. We need to continue to build from this."
Recommended Stories For You
The loss concludes a season in which the Lady Miners went 33-19 overall, reached the Sac-Joaquin Section D-III semifinals and won their opening match of the NorCal tourney.
The Lady Miners will graduate a pair of talented seniors in McGill and Meadow Aragon, but will return a skilled group of juniors next season.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top league foe Lincoln; FLC soars past Delta
- All-time great linebacker Matt Beck to be inducted into Nevada Union Athletics Hall of Fame
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Menary goes on scoring surge; Sumner beats ranked opponent
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union’s comeback falls short against Lincoln
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union tops Ponderosa; Bear River comes up clutch against Marysville; FLC surges past Sac Waldorf
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman says someone threatened, urinated on her