PREP TENNIS: Bear River edges Center in PVL opener
March 15, 2019
Bear River's tennis team opened the Pioneer Valley League season with a win against longtime rival Center, 5-4, on Tuesday.
Keys to the win came from both girls singles players. Girls No. 1 Sophia Christen, a freshman, won her match 6-2, 6-1 while girls No. 2 Emmy Christensen, a sophomore, won a hard-fought match 6-4, 6-3.
Both boys doubles teams took home wins with No. 1 Daniel Tantum and Ian Hayes winning easily 6-1, 6-1, and the No. 2 doubles team of Brendon Le and Jacob Knox also won 6-1, 6-1. The mixed doubles team of Charlie Kirks and Vanise Nunez also won 6-1, 6-1.
On Thursday, Bear River traveled to Olivehurst to take on perennial tennis powerhouse Lindhurst High School. Lindhurst took home the win 7-2 to begin their season 2-0 while Bear River falls to 1-1. Standouts for Bear River include both girls singles players who each begin the season undefeated at 2-0. Christen won 6-3, 6-3 using a powerful serve and volley game while Christensen won 7-5, 6-3 using her powerful serve as a weapon throughout the match.
Following a bye on Tuesday, Bear River travels to Marysville Thursday to continue their play against a deep and talented PVL schedule.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- After battling anxiety and depression, fighter Danny Carranza hopes his story helps others
- PREP SOFTBALL: Lady Miners top Lady Bruins in cross county bout
- PREP MOUNTAIN BIKING: Miners grab gold at Granite Bay Grinder
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Bear River crushes Pioneer, remains undefeated in league play
- RUNNING: Paint the Town Blue for Mitch 5K/10K set for Sunday
- Driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after women dies in crash on Highway 49 in Grass Valley
- Developer revives Dorsey Marketplace; Grass Valley releases Draft EIR (Read the doc)
- Suspect in Grass Valley baby formula thefts ID’d
- Cascade Canal Trail to open after Nevada County court agreement
- Nevada County authorities charge 2 with embezzlement