PREP SPORTS: Section postpones football playoffs due to poor air quality
November 14, 2018
The Sac-Joaquin Section, after constant contact with various air quality boards throughout the region, has determined some playoff changes must be made due to worsening air quality expected through the weekend, according to a press release from the Section.
All Sac-Joaquin Section playoff football games scheduled for this Friday and Saturday are postponed one week. The games scheduled for this weekend will now be contested the weekend of Nov. 23 and 24.
The championship breakfast (originally scheduled for all finalists on Nov. 19) is now Monday, Nov. 26 at Hutchins Street Square in Lodi at 10 a.m.
The Division I, II and III championships will be Saturday, Dec. 1 at Sacramento State. The Division IV, V and VI championships will be held the weekend of Nov. 30-Dec. 1.
As for cross country, the Section still plans to hold the cross country championships this Saturday at the Willow Hill course in Folsom. The air quality is forecast to be within decent ranges that morning. The championships will be limited to varsity-only races with combined divisions beginning at 9 a.m.
If the AQI climbs above 150 (unhealthy range) before any races are run, the Section will not hold the races, instead using the times from the sub-section meet for teams to qualify for the state championships. If the AQI climbs above 150 during the races, all subsequent races will be called off and the Section will use sub-section times to qualify for the state championships.
Recommended Stories For You
All AQI forecasts for this weekend remain well into the red (unhealthy) and even into the purple (extremely unhealthy) ranges. This decision was made with the health of the student-athletes in mind, according to a press release.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Tanner Vallejo continues to make impact for Browns
- PREP BASKETBALL: Ganskie Invite to raise funds for Camp Fire first responders
- PREP ROUNDUP: Lady Miners take 3rd at Rumble on the River
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Former foes come together, help North Team win Small School Optimist All Star Game
- Nevada County lion attack is instead an assault, victim in stable but critical condition
- Penn Valley man killed in solo crash on Highway 20
- Nevada City’s National Hotel re-opening delayed
- Nevada County missing man case: Signs of violent struggle found
- Former Nevada County resident ‘Cappy’ Gordon killed in Montana