PREP SKIING: Miners carve out top-5 finishes at Alpine Meadows
January 30, 2018
Nevada Union's alpine ski team traversed the giant slalom course at Alpine Meadows Monday, placing second in the girls competition and third in the boys race.
Leading the girls varsity team down the mountain was Dannah Fournier who placed second individually with a two-race combined time of 1 minute, 7.54 seconds. Fournier was less than 2 seconds behind first place finisher Karina Martel (1:05.88) from Colfax.
NU's Zoe Cohen also put together two strong runs and placed fifth overall with a time of 1:10.87, which was .54 seconds behind the fourth place finisher.
The girls team then had a handful of skiers bunched together as Lena Kellerman placed 15th, Haley McCormick took 16th, Alia Rice earned 17th and Kyra Leach finished in 18th.
As a team, the NU girls finished with just 12 points behind first place Davis. Colfax was third and Placer took fourth place.
In the boys varsity race, NU's top finisher was Judah Good, placing fourth overall with a two-race combined time of 1:07.64, which was .05 seconds behind the third place finisher. The Miners' next best finisher was Jake Schlothauer in 15th place. Luke Ericson was next for NU, placing 21st. The Miners then stacked up behind Ericson as they took the next seven spots (22-28) in the 34-person field.
Recommended Stories For You
Colfax's Calan Martel was first in the boys race with a mark of 1:03.82.
The Boys team finished with 222 team points and finished third behind first place Colfax (269) and second place Davis (244).
In the boys junior varsity race, the Miners were led by Ethan Schuler and Jack Blair who placed 10th and 11th respectively.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union can’t keep up with Bradshaw Christian, falls in D-III semis
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons land in D-VI championship after topping Ripon Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Forest Lake Christian gear up for semifinal bouts
- RUNNING: Gold Country Grand Prix enters 14th year with change, but stays true to its original goal
- Grass Valley resident hits up Grammy Awards ceremony for third time
- Three Grass Valley arrests involve drugs, alcohol
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- Rona Cook & Carissa Cook Stroh: We would like to humbly thank you all for supporting Friar Tuck’s