PREP SKIING: Miners carve out top-5 finishes at Alpine Meadows
January 30, 2018
Nevada Union's alpine ski team traversed the giant slalom course at Alpine Meadows Monday, placing second in the girls competition and third in the boys race.
Leading the girls varsity team down the mountain was Dannah Fournier who placed second individually with a two-race combined time of 1 minute, 7.54 seconds. Fournier was less than 2 seconds behind first place finisher Karina Martel (1:05.88) from Colfax.
NU's Zoe Cohen also put together two strong runs and placed fifth overall with a time of 1:10.87, which was .54 seconds behind the fourth place finisher.
The girls team then had a handful of skiers bunched together as Lena Kellerman placed 15th, Haley McCormick took 16th, Alia Rice earned 17th and Kyra Leach finished in 18th.
As a team, the NU girls finished with just 12 points behind first place Davis. Colfax was third and Placer took fourth place.
In the boys varsity race, NU's top finisher was Judah Good, placing fourth overall with a two-race combined time of 1:07.64, which was .05 seconds behind the third place finisher. The Miners' next best finisher was Jake Schlothauer in 15th place. Luke Ericson was next for NU, placing 21st. The Miners then stacked up behind Ericson as they took the next seven spots (22-28) in the 34-person field.
Recommended Stories For You
Colfax's Calan Martel was first in the boys race with a mark of 1:03.82.
The Boys team finished with 222 team points and finished third behind first place Colfax (269) and second place Davis (244).
In the boys junior varsity race, the Miners were led by Ethan Schuler and Jack Blair who placed 10th and 11th respectively.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- ‘BIGGER THAN THE GAME’: Bear River boys, girls teams win Ganskie Invitational, raise funds for Camp Fire first responders (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax Falcons set to face San Diego Cavers in CIF 5-A State Championship
- Denis Peirce: Steelhead on the Sacramento
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax falls to San Diego in CIF State 5-A Championship game
- Never forgotten
- Nevada County authorities find explosive device in Glenbrook Basin; businesses evacuated, no one hurt
- Nevada County assault victim remains in hospital
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Smell of death at Colfax Avenue home
- MEET YOUR MERCHANT: Nevada County couple helps keep homes warm through growing trend of energy logs
- Nevada City man faces felonies for honey oil lab