PREP FOOTBALL: Placer falls short of state title
December 17, 2017
The Placer Hillmen's march toward a California Interscholastic Federation football championship came to a close Saturday with a 46-43 loss to Crenshaw in the 4-AA title game.
Playing on Crenshaw's home field, the Hillmen gave the Cougars all they could handle, but in the end fell just short.
Trailing 40-35 with less than 7 minutes left, Placer's Marshall Chapman scored on a 16-yard run to put the Hillmen ahead 43-40.
Crenshaw responded with an Isaiah Johnson 7-yard touchdown pass to Rayshawn Williams with less than 2 minutes on the clock to pull ahead 46-43.
Placer put together a long drive and had a shot at victory, but an interception on the last play of the game dashed their state title hopes.
Putting together big games for Placer was running back Brad Bishop with a pair of early touchdown runs, Chapman with two touchdown runs, and quarterback Michael Stuck with two long scoring passes to Travis Warren.
Recommended Stories For You
The loss concludes a season in which the Hillmen went 13-2 overall, won the Pioneer Valley League title, the Sac-Joaquin Section Division IV championship and the NorCal 4-A Regional Bowl Championship.
In other state championship games: Mater Dei (15-0) topped De La Salle (11-2) in the Open Division, 52-21. Folsom (16-0) edged Helix (13-2) in Division 1-AA, 49-42. Narbonne (12-3) defeated Pittsburg (9-3) in the D1-A, 28-21. Serra (13-2) crushed Cajon (14-2) in D2-AA, 38-14. St. Francis, Mountain View (11-4) beat Grace Brethren (13-3) in D2-A, 22-13. Bishop Diego (15-1) walloped Shasta in D3-AA, 41-6. Steele Canyon (12-4) edged Half Moon Bay (14-1) in D3-A, 44-42. Milpitas (14-1) topped Southwest EC (14-1) in D4-A, 45-41. McClymonds (14-0) easily defeated Golden West (12-3) in D5-AA, 42-12. Fortuna (13-2) knocked off Katella (14-2) in D5-A, 54-33. Strathmore (16-0) beat Orange (13-3) in D6-AA, 31-29. And, Galileo (11-2) bested Vincent Memorial (12-3) in D6-A, 38-20.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons edge past Sacramento Adventist in D-VI playoffs, punch ticket to semifinals
- Gov. Newsom set to visit Grass Valley
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Altercation ends in man fatally stabbing himself
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)