PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Fortuna to face off in NorCal 5-A Bowl Game
December 3, 2017
After a week of waiting, the Bear River Bruins finally know who and where they will be playing Saturday.
The California Interscholastic Federation released the Regional Championship Bowl Game matchups Sunday and the Bruins will be making the more than 250-mile trip to face Fortuna for Northern California's 5-A title.
"We know it's a long drive, but we're excited," Bear River co-head coach Scott Savoie said.
The road to Fortuna is indeed a long one, but Savoie said his team travels well. Bear River is 7-1 at away or neutral sites this season.
"I was really hoping we would play a team we've never faced before and we got that," Savoie said. "It's all part of the adventure."
The Bruins (10-3) earned their way into the NorCal 5-A Bowl Game after taking down rival Colfax, 30-27, in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division 5 championship game.
Recommended Stories For You
Fortuna (12-2) won the North Coast Section D-4 Championship, beating Hercules, 44-0.
The game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday at Fortuna High School. The winner will advance to the 5-A State Championship game where they will face the winner of the SoCal 5-A game between Katella (13-1) and Monte Vista (8-5).
Placer (11-1), which won the Sac-Joaquin Section's D-4 title, landed in the NorCal 4-AA Bowl Game and will travel to face Salinas (12-2) Friday.
In other NorCal Bowl Game matchups, Folsom (14-0) will host Fresno's Central High School (12-1) in 1-AA, Granite Bay 12-2 will host Pittsburg (8-2) in 1-A, Tulare Union (13-0) will host San Mateo's Serra (11-2) in 2-AA, Mountain View's Saint Francis (9-4) will host Manteca (12-2) in 2-A, Shasta (11-1) will host Marin Catholic (12-0) in 3-AA, Sutter (12-1) will host Half Moon Bay (13-0) in 3-A, Milpitas (12-1) will host Campolindo (10-4) in 4-A, East Nicolaus (13-0) will host Oakland's MyClymonds (12-0) in 5-AA, Strathmore (14-0) will host Vallejo's St. Patrick-St. Vincent (11-1) in 6-AA, and Rio Vista (9-3) will host San Francisco's Galileo (9-2) in 6-A.
The State Championship Open Division Game is already set as Concord's De La Salle (11-1) will represent Northern California against Southern California's Mater Dei (14-0) Dec. 16 at Sacramento State's Hornet Stadium.
For a complete look at the NorCal and SoCal matchups visit http://www.cifstate.org.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners power past Cordova in 1st round of D-III playoffs; Lady Bruins fall to Colfax in D-IV
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons edge past Sacramento Adventist in D-VI playoffs, punch ticket to semifinals
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Gov. Newsom set to visit Grass Valley