PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Fortuna to face off in NorCal 5-A Bowl Game
December 3, 2017
After a week of waiting, the Bear River Bruins finally know who and where they will be playing Saturday.
The California Interscholastic Federation released the Regional Championship Bowl Game matchups Sunday and the Bruins will be making the more than 250-mile trip to face Fortuna for Northern California's 5-A title.
"We know it's a long drive, but we're excited," Bear River co-head coach Scott Savoie said.
The road to Fortuna is indeed a long one, but Savoie said his team travels well. Bear River is 7-1 at away or neutral sites this season.
"I was really hoping we would play a team we've never faced before and we got that," Savoie said. "It's all part of the adventure."
The Bruins (10-3) earned their way into the NorCal 5-A Bowl Game after taking down rival Colfax, 30-27, in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division 5 championship game.
Recommended Stories For You
Fortuna (12-2) won the North Coast Section D-4 Championship, beating Hercules, 44-0.
The game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday at Fortuna High School. The winner will advance to the 5-A State Championship game where they will face the winner of the SoCal 5-A game between Katella (13-1) and Monte Vista (8-5).
Placer (11-1), which won the Sac-Joaquin Section's D-4 title, landed in the NorCal 4-AA Bowl Game and will travel to face Salinas (12-2) Friday.
In other NorCal Bowl Game matchups, Folsom (14-0) will host Fresno's Central High School (12-1) in 1-AA, Granite Bay 12-2 will host Pittsburg (8-2) in 1-A, Tulare Union (13-0) will host San Mateo's Serra (11-2) in 2-AA, Mountain View's Saint Francis (9-4) will host Manteca (12-2) in 2-A, Shasta (11-1) will host Marin Catholic (12-0) in 3-AA, Sutter (12-1) will host Half Moon Bay (13-0) in 3-A, Milpitas (12-1) will host Campolindo (10-4) in 4-A, East Nicolaus (13-0) will host Oakland's MyClymonds (12-0) in 5-AA, Strathmore (14-0) will host Vallejo's St. Patrick-St. Vincent (11-1) in 6-AA, and Rio Vista (9-3) will host San Francisco's Galileo (9-2) in 6-A.
The State Championship Open Division Game is already set as Concord's De La Salle (11-1) will represent Northern California against Southern California's Mater Dei (14-0) Dec. 16 at Sacramento State's Hornet Stadium.
For a complete look at the NorCal and SoCal matchups visit http://www.cifstate.org.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners shutout Fairfield for 3rd win in a row (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- ROWING: Accomplished rower looks to share sport he loves with others
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners travel to Fairfield for final non-league bout
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union tennis tops Oakmont; Bear River golf remains unbeaten in league play
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Nevada County authorities haven’t yet ID’d burned body
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- That’s the spirit: Nevada County’s first locally-crafted spirits make their debut