PREP CROSS COUNTRY: Nevada Union’s Garrett Gough runs down D-III Subsection championship
November 4, 2018
Garrett Gough left little doubt who was the fastest on the course Saturday as the Nevada Union senior ran away with the Subsection Division III cross country title.
Competing on the 3-mile Frogtown course in Angels Camp, Gough finished in a time of 15 minutes, 17.4 seconds. Not only was Gough's time the best in D-III, it was the fastest among all divisional races. The next closest time was Del Oro's Brayden McLaughlin with a mark of 15:46.9.
As a team, the Miners placed second in the D-III race. Putting in strong performances for NU was Jake Slade (16:54.8) in eighth place, Decker Krogh (17:32.5) in 21st, Travis Selby (17:36.1) in 23rd, Wyatt Gough (17:47.7) in 28th and Antonio Valenti (17:48.2) in 29th. As a team the NU boys placed second in D-III. Del Oro took the top team spot in D-III.
In the girls D-III race, the Lady Miners combined to finish third overall. Leading NU was Mackenzie Morgan (20:31.5) in 13th place. She was followed by Hannah Montgomery (20:44.2) in 18th, Sophora Wontor (20:51.6) in 19th, Hannah Tiffany (21:45.8) in 34th, Megan Schreck (21:48.0) in 35th and Caitlyn Sullivan (21:49.0) in 36th. Del Oro's Riley Chamberlain (17:54.2) was first overall. Vista del Lago took the team title.
Nevada Union also had a strong showing in the 2-mile boys freshman D-III race as T.J. Parnow (12:09.1) took first place and Harry Retzler (13:02.9) placed third.
In the 3-mile boys D-III, IV, V junior varsity race, NU's top runners were Ryan Morgan (18:39.0) in ninth and Cayden Hennessey (18:45.2) in 11th.
Recommended Stories For You
In the girls 2-mile D-III girls frosh/soph race, NU's Skyler Meinholz (14:50.1) placed ninth. In the 3-mile boys D-III, IV, V girls junior varsity race, NU's Alma Ramirez (22:53.8) took third place.
Next up for the Miners is the Sac-Joaquin Section Championships Saturday at Willow Hill in Folsom.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top league foe Lincoln; FLC soars past Delta
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union’s comeback falls short against Lincoln
- All-time great linebacker Matt Beck to be inducted into Nevada Union Athletics Hall of Fame
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River tops rival Colfax; Nevada Union pounds Ponderosa
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union tops Ponderosa; Bear River comes up clutch against Marysville; FLC surges past Sac Waldorf
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Grass Valley police say suspected burglar was found with counterfeit money
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession