PREP CROSS COUNTRY: Miners dig in at state championships
November 26, 2018
The talented harriers from Nevada Union wrapped up a highly successful 2018 season at the CIF Cross Country Championships in Fresno Saturday.
Competing against the best prep distance runners in the state at Woodward Park, the Nevada Union boys team placed 14th out of 24 teams in the Division III race, and the NU girls took 20th out of 25 in their D-III race.
Leading the NU boys was Garrett Gough, who placed fourth on the 5K course with a time of 15 minutes, 31.3 seconds. The skilled senior also won the Foothill Valley League title in October, and came into the state race on the heels of a dominant win at the Sac-Joaquin Section D-III Championships.
Also representing the Miners at the state meet was sophomore Jake Slade (16:39.9, 66th), sophomore Travis Selby (17:05.7, 115th), senior Decker Krogh (17:16.4, 127th), senior Wyatt Gough (17:26.9, 148th), sophomore Antonio Valenti (17:43.4, 164th), and junior Cole Barton (17:53.9, 172nd).
Liam Anderson, running for Redwood, won the D-III race in a time of 14:55.3. Ridgeview (Bakersfield) won the D-III team title.
In the girls D-III race, the Miners were led by sophomore Sephora Wontor, who placed 67th in a time of 19:46.8. Also competing for NU was sophomore Mackenzie Morgan (20:22.7, 111th), freshman Hannah Montgomery (20:34.6, 121st), junior Hannah Tiffany (21:06.8, 150th), freshman Megan Schreck (21:33.3, 165th), freshman Caitlyn Sullivan (21:33.6, 166th) and junior Alma Ramirez (22:35.2, 204th).
Recommended Stories For You
The state meet marked the end to a stellar season in which the boys team won the Sac-Joaquin Section Division III championship, and the girls team took home the FVL title and finished third at the D-III Section Championships.
This season was the first in more than 19 years in which the NU boys and girls teams qualified for the CIF State Championships in the same season.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union baseball tops River Valley; Lady Miners softball splits doubleheader with Las Plumas
- Justin Carroll leaves behind legacy of love, kindness and competitiveness
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Lowe rallies down the stretch to win Bash at the Beach
- Moule Paint and Glass’ Player of the Week: Will Sumner
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: A truly courageous moment
- Home prices climb out of reach for many in Nevada County (GRAPH)
- Traffic stop yields 2 arrests, discovery of items stolen from South Yuba River State Park
- Vintage ice cream cart stolen in Nevada City dumped at Rood Center
- Nevada County authorities release cause of death in Adea Shabani homicide
- Woman who pleaded to Grass Valley T-Mobile robbery skips court