PREP BASKETBALL: Nevads Union tops Oakmont at Kendall Arnett; Bear River beats El Dorado at Falcon Shootout
December 28, 2018
Nevada Union's boys basketball team earned a hard-fought win over the Oakmont Vikings, 67-57, in the second round of the Kendall Arnett Tournament Friday night at Placer High School.
The Miners (7-10) led by one after the first quarter, trailed by two at halftime and led by one after three before creating some separation in the fourth quarter and grabbing the 10-point victory.
Leading the Miners was senior post player David O'Looney with 26 points. Senior guards Ryan Werner and Riley Japhet-Gekas each added 13 points, and freshman forward Milo Goehring chipped in nine points.
The Miners lost their opening round game to Union Mine, 66-58. NU got big games from Werner with 22, and O'Looney with 20 in the loss.
Nevada Union will now face Foothill (Palo Cedro) at 5 p.m. today in the Kendall Arnett Consolation Championship game.
BEAR RIVER 58, EL DORADO 54
Recommended Stories For You
After dropping their opening game of the Colfax Falcon Shootout on Thursday, the Bear River boys basketball team bounced back with a win over Franklin on Friday.
Bear River got the job done with a balanced scoring attack as four different Bruins scored in double digits. Leading the way was Caleb Lowry with 19 points. Brekyn Vasquez and Justin Powell followed with 13 each, and Adam Malik chipped in 11 in the win.
The Bruins fell to El Dorado, 79-62, in the tourney opener.
Bear River will compete in the Falcon Shootout consolation championship game at 4:30 p.m. today against Colfax.
FRESHMEN: Nevada Union 68, Roseville 66
Nevada Union's Cassius Courtney made the go ahead basket with 5 seconds left in overtime to propel the Miners to a 68-66 victory over Roseville Thursday. Gabe Baker led the way for the Miners with 27 points. Corey Ellis played a strong floor game and finished with 16 points, and Courtney added 12. Blake Hronis chipped in with nine points off the bench.
Nevada Union 48, Damonte Ranch 44
The Lady Miners opened the Varsity Elite Tournament in Sparks, Nevada with a hard-fought win over Damonte Ranch (Reno) on Thursday.
Leading the Lady Miners was senior Meadow Aragon with 18 points. Aragon also was a standout on defense. NU's Aijah King added nine points, Molly Burton chipped in six points and Emerson Dunbar netted five points in the win.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP TENNIS: Bear River edges Center in PVL opener
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union baseball tops River Valley; Lady Miners softball splits doubleheader with Las Plumas
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: A truly courageous moment
- Justin Carroll leaves behind legacy of love, kindness and competitiveness
- GET INTO GOLF: No two courses are the same
- Home prices climb out of reach for many in Nevada County (GRAPH)
- Woman who pleaded to Grass Valley T-Mobile robbery skips court
- Truckee officer recognizes wanted man, finds guns during search
- Nevada County authorities release cause of death in Adea Shabani homicide
- Meet your merchant: Love of area leads to setting up shop