PREP BASKETBALL: Miners fall in NUIT 3rd place game
December 10, 2017
The Miners couldn't keep up with Reno Saturday, falling to the Huskies, 53-43, in the third-place game of the Nevada Union Invitational Tournament.
Playing at Albert Ali Gymnasium, Nevada Union struggled to score against the Huskies, shooting below 40-percent and trailing 31-20 at halftime. The Miners would battle back and pull to within four points at 46-42 with a little more than 2 minutes left, but got no closer.
Leading the Miners was Dawson Fay with 14 points. The junior forward averaged 14 points across all three games at the NUIT and was named to the All-Tournament team. Nevada Union junior guard Riley Japhet-Gekas added 11 points off the bench.
The Miners (4-3) beat Enterprise, 51-49, to open the tournament, but lost to El Camino, 52-49, in semifinals Friday. Nevada Union had been on a four-game winning streak before the loss to El Camino.
Next up for the Miners is the Mel Goode Tournament Thursday in Yuba City.
Burbank (Sacramento) won the NUIT, beating El Camino, 70-60, in the championship game. Burbank topped River Valley in the first round and took down Reno in the semifinals to reach the title game. The Titans from Burbank are now 7-0 on the season.
Recommended Stories For You
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 2 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners power past Cordova in 1st round of D-III playoffs; Lady Bruins fall to Colfax in D-IV
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River edges Natomas in D-IV playoffs
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Nevada County Sheriff’s detectives arrest four suspects in string of burglaries
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station