PREP BASKETBALL: Miners can’t keep up with league foe Ponderosa
February 1, 2019
Nevada Union's boys basketball team couldn't keep up with a hot shooting Ponderosa squad Friday night, falling 53-36 at Albert Ali Gymnasium.
The two Foothill Valley League combatants were locked in a tight battle in the first half with the Miners trailing by just three, 21-18, at halftime. Ponderosa came out of the break hot and went on a 16-4 run to grab a 37-22 lead with about 3 minutes left in third quarter.
The Miners responded with a 10-2 run to end the third and headed to the final stanza down 39-32.
In the fourth, NU struggled to score and Ponderosa had no such problem. The Bruins closed the game on a 14-4 run to earn the victory.
Leading the Miners was senior David O'Looney with 16 points. Senior guard Ryan Werner added nine points, and senior guard Riley Japhet-Gekas chipped in eight points.
It was Senior Night at Albert Ali Gymnasium, and the Miners recognized their five seniors (O'Looney, Werner, Japhet-Gekas, Jordan Mills and Casey Ackerman) ahead of the game.
Recommended Stories For You
"I'm so proud of this group of seniors," NU head coach Mark Casey said after the game. "Three of them (O'Looney, Werner, Japhet-Gekas) became starters this year, first year they started at the varsity level. Casey Ackerman, I wish more people knew about what he brings to this team. He's our glue guy. He's super positive. He works as hard as anyone else every single day. And, Jordan Mills works as hard as anyone else every single day. But really a nice group to coach."
The loss drops the Miners to 11-15 overall and 4-4 in FVL play. The Miners have two league games left, both of which are on the road. NU travels to Lincoln to face the Zebras on Wednesday, and closes at Rio Linda next Friday.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners power past Cordova in 1st round of D-III playoffs; Lady Bruins fall to Colfax in D-IV
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons edge past Sacramento Adventist in D-VI playoffs, punch ticket to semifinals
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Gov. Newsom set to visit Grass Valley