PREP BASKETBALL: Falcons hit road for NorCal tourney
March 5, 2018
The Forest Lake Christian girls basketball team has already shaken off last Friday's loss in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division VI championship game, and is ready for its next challenge — the CIF NorCal D-VI tourney.
"They were pretty heart broken and we feel that game could have been ours," said FLC head coach Valerie Horner of her team's loss to Ripon Christian in the Sac-Joaquin Section D-VI title game. "They had to take a couple days, but by the time practice came around (Monday) everybody was intense and excited."
The Lady Falcons (20-6) are slotted into the No. 5 seed in the NorCal tourney bracket, and will travel to Santa Rosa to face the No. 4 seed Rincon Valley Christian Eagles (21-8).
Ripon Christian is the No. 3 seed.
The bid to the NorCal D-VI tourney extends what has been FLC's most successful season in more than a decade. In addition to winning the Central Valley California League championship and reaching the D-VI title game, the Lady Falcons have put up impressive numbers. The FLC defense is smothering, allowing just 33.7 points per game, while its offense averages more than 48 per game. The Lady Falcons have also fared well on the road, going 8-2 in true away games.
FLC is led by senior captain Johnna Dreschler, who has team highs in points with 14.9 per game, and rebounds with 17.2 per game. The Lady Falcons also get strong play from Amber Jackson (11.4 points per game, 4.7 steals per game), Jessi Dreschler (6.2 ppg, 9.8 rebounds per game, 4.5 spg), Bella Horner (5.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 3.7 spg) and Ellie Wood (7.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg).
Recommended Stories For You
Rincon Valley Christian comes into the matchup on the heels of a 57-43 victory over Laytonville in the North Coast Section D-VI Championship Game. The Eagles average 44.8 points per game while allowing just 31.9 per game. They have been impressive at home, going 8-1 inside their own gym this season.
The game is set to tipoff at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Rincon Valley Christian High School in Santa Rosa.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners top Manteca, will host semifinal bout with Bradshaw Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River bounces Calaveras, advances to 2nd round of Division IV playoffs
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian opens D-VI playoffs with big win over Freedom Christian
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Miners power past Cordova in 1st round of D-III playoffs; Lady Bruins fall to Colfax in D-IV
- PREP BASKETBALL: Lady Falcons edge past Sacramento Adventist in D-VI playoffs, punch ticket to semifinals
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Nevada County Sheriff’s detectives arrest four suspects in string of burglaries