Local snowboarder Evan Strong nominated for ESPY Award
June 27, 2014
The nominees for the 22nd annual ESPY Awards were announced Tuesday, and Nevada City Paralympic gold medalist Evan Strong got a nod in the Best Male Athlete with a Disability category.
Strong, who won gold in snowboarder cross at the Sochi Paralympics in March, also won the 2014 National Championships, the World Cup La Molina and the World Cup Copper Mountain. Strong lost his left leg below the knee 10 years ago in an auto accident, and took up snowbaording seven years ago.
Also up for the ESPY is Mike Shea, who took the silver medal at the Sochi Paralympic games and won the 2014 overall World Cup title. Shea is tied with Strong as the No. 1 snowboarder in the world rankings.
Strong and Shea, who are friends, are also up against Mark Bathum, Declan Farmer and Raymond Martin.
Bathum won a pair of silver medals at the Sochi Paralympics in the men's visually impaired super G and super combined.
Declan is a 16-year-old hockey player who scored two goals and had an assist in Team USA's win against Canada, helping to get his team into the gold medal match against Russia. The team from the U.S. would finish with silver medals.
Recommended Stories For You
Martin is the first man to win five gold medals at an International Paralympic Committee Athletics World Championships as he won the men's T52 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 meter races at the 2013 edition of the championships in Lyon, France. Martin also swept the same five events at the U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships, according to http://www.teamusa.org.
The 2014 ESPY Awards will be televised July 16.
The ESPY Awards are voted on by the public at espn.go.com/espys/. Voting ends July 16 at 6 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- ‘BIGGER THAN THE GAME’: Bear River boys, girls teams win Ganskie Invitational, raise funds for Camp Fire first responders (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax Falcons set to face San Diego Cavers in CIF 5-A State Championship
- Denis Peirce: Steelhead on the Sacramento
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax falls to San Diego in CIF State 5-A Championship game
- Never forgotten
- Nevada County authorities find explosive device in Glenbrook Basin; businesses evacuated, no one hurt
- Nevada County assault victim remains in hospital
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Smell of death at Colfax Avenue home
- MEET YOUR MERCHANT: Nevada County couple helps keep homes warm through growing trend of energy logs
- Nevada City man faces felonies for honey oil lab