ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Willis, Sierra battle through Big 8 play
January 7, 2019
Aycee Willis, a 2017 Nevada union graduate, and the Sierra College Wolverines split a pair of conference games last week, beating Modesto Junior College, 121-25, and fell to San Joaquin Delta College, 75-57.
Willis, a sophomore guard, stuffed the stat sheet against Modesto, scoring 16 points, dishing out seven assists, nabbing six steals and pulling down five rebounds.
The win over Modesto snapped a three-game losing streak overall and a two-game skid in conference play.
Facing San Joaquin Delta, Willis tallied a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. For the season, Willis is averaging 14.6 points per game, 7.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists.
Willis is coming off a freshman season in which she averaged 10.5 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while helping Sierra reach the California Community College Athletic Association's Final Four.
Sierra College (10-6, 1-3) competes in the CCCAA's Big 8 Conference.
Recommended Stories For You
MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL
David Menary, a 2016 Nevada Union graduate, and the University of Redlands Bulldogs dropped a pair of conference games last week, falling to Pomona-Pitzer, 82-77, and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 73-71, in overtime.
Menary, a 6-foot, 5-inch junior forward, scored a team-high 19 points and grabbed four rebounds in the loss to Pomona-Pitzer. He tallied 18 points and grabbed five rebounds to go with three steals and two blocks in the overtime loss to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
For the season, Menary is averaging 19.1 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game.
Gary Menary, a 2017 Nevada Union graduate, started alongside his older brother in both games. The first-year sophomore wing scored six points and grabbed three rebounds against Pomona-Pitzer. He then scored six points and pulled down five rebounds against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
For the season, Gary Menary is averaging 7.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
Redlands (6-6, 1-2) is a NCAA Division III school that plays in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP TENNIS: Bear River edges Center in PVL opener
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union baseball tops River Valley; Lady Miners softball splits doubleheader with Las Plumas
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: A truly courageous moment
- GET INTO GOLF: No two courses are the same
- Moule Paint and Glass’ Player of the Week: Will Sumner
- Home prices climb out of reach for many in Nevada County (GRAPH)
- Woman who pleaded to Grass Valley T-Mobile robbery skips court
- Truckee officer recognizes wanted man, finds guns during search
- Nevada County authorities release cause of death in Adea Shabani homicide
- Meet your merchant: Love of area leads to setting up shop