ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alumna Alex Cook wraps up strong 1st season with Sierra
November 27, 2017
Alex Cook, a 2017 Nevada Union graduate, and the Sierra College women's volleyball team had their 12-game winning streak snapped by Folsom Lake College in the second round of the North Regional playoffs Saturday.
Cook, a freshmen setter, had 49 assists and six digs in the four set loss to Folsom Lake.
In the opening round of the playoffs, Cook had 39 assists, four digs and two kills in a straight set win over Foothill.
Cook had an impressive run in her first season with Sierra College, leading the Wolverines in assists with 982, which also ranked her second in the California Community College Athletic Association.
The loss concludes the season for Sierra College, which went 24-4 overall and won the CCCAA's Big 8 Conference.
While at Nevada Union, Cook was an All-Sierra Foothill League player in her senior season with the Lady Miners volleyball team.
Recommended Stories For You
Tanner Vallejo, a 2013 Nevada Union graduate, and the Buffalo Bills (6-5) snapped a three-game losing streak with a 16-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday.
Vallejo, a rookie, played on special teams in the win.
The 6-foot, 1-inch, 228-pound linebacker has played in 10 of the Bills' 11 games this season and has notched two tackles on the year.
Vallejo was drafted by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Kaitlyn Reina, a 2014 Bear River graduate, and the Cal State San Marcos Cougars dropped both of their games at the UCSD Thanksgiving Classic last week.
Reina, a 5-foot, 10-inch senior forward, scored five points and pulled down three rebounds in a loss to Azusa Pacific University. She then tallied four points and notched five rebounds against Dominican University.
San Marcos (0-4) is a NCAA Division II team that competes in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners shutout Fairfield for 3rd win in a row (PHOTO GALLERY/VIDEO)
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Alex Cook, Sierra College off to strong start in Big 8 play
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union tennis tops Oakmont; Bear River golf remains unbeaten in league play
- Tips for Salmon fishing on the Feather River
- PREP ROUNDUP: NU girls cross country wins 1st league meet, boys take 3rd
- Nevada County couple facing animal cruelty charge back in jail
- ‘We have your back’: Nevada County residents rally behind Blasey Ford
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- UPDATE: Police say Old Tunnel Road death likely accidental
- Nevada County authorities haven’t yet ID’d burned body