Snow predicted through weekend in Nevada County | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Snow predicted through weekend in Nevada County

Spring in the Sierra, as locals know, can mean shorts one day and parkas the next.

It reached 72 degrees Thursday afternoon in Grass Valley. But by Saturday, the temperatures are predicted to drop more than 25 degrees as a “significant” winter storm moves in.

The mild temperatures will continue through today, said National Weather Service meteorologist Eric Kurth. But a strong winter storm will impact Northern California over the weekend and into early next week, bringing widespread mountain snow and valley rain, Kurth said. Snow levels will be low, around 2,500 to 3,000 feet, and accumulating snow is expected down to 2,500 feet, he said.

“The brunt of the storm is expected to be Saturday night through Sunday evening,” Kurth said.

Support Local Journalism


There is a 20% chance of rain starting late tonight, with the chance of snow increasing to 80% by around 11 a.m. Saturday. The predicted amount of snow has increased dramatically, with 2 to 4 feet of snow expected above 4,000 feet. Lower elevations will see as much as 4 to 8 inches, Kurth said.

Mountain travel is heavily discouraged, Kurth said. Periods of heavy mountain snow and gusty winds will create possible whiteout conditions with chain controls and road closures likely, especially Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon.

Contact reporter Liz Kellar at 530-477-4236 or by email at lizk@theunion.com.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Connect with needs and opportunities from

Get immediate access to organizations and people in our area that need your help or can provide help during the Coronavirus crisis.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User