Reno murder suspect won’t face death penalty | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Reno murder suspect won’t face death penalty

RENO ” Prosecutors have decided against seeking the death penalty for the 19-year-old man accused of fatally shooting three people at a Halloween party in Reno last year.

Washoe County Chief Deputy District Attorney Dan Greco said Samisone Taukitoku’s age and lack of criminal history were factors in the decision.

“The ultimate call was by District Attorney Dick Gammick, and he decided we would not seek the death penalty in this case,” Greco said.



Taukitoku has been charged with three counts of murder and remains jailed on $1 million bond.

According to police, the shootings occurred after Taukitoku crashed the Oct. 28 costume party attended by about 170 people.




Killed were Charles Coogan Kelly, 21, of Truckee, Calif.; University of Nevada, Reno senior Derek Kyle Jensen, 23, of Reno; and former UNR student Nathan Viljoen, 23, of Sparks.

I


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User